As a landlord, it is imperative to keep your property in an optimal condition so that it attracts prospective tenants and continues to fetch a good rent. A well-kept property is less likely to remain vacant for a long period of time. Just before you list your home for rent in Killeen, TX, ensure that you have done your bit to make it look inviting.
Here are some economical tips to increase the value of your rental property:
- Give it a fresh paint: Giving the walls a fresh burst of colors can revive the entire look of your home. Choose light colors that add a feeling of space to your interiors. On tiled walls, gentle scrubbing can be done to remove all stains, particularly in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Focus on outdoors: To make the garden look clean, make sure you trim overgrown bushes and remove all weeds. Level the fencing around the area. Porch and driveway must be cleaned thoroughly as these areas build the first impression on the prospective tenants.
- Remove heavy furniture, if any: If you are renting a furnished home, the best way to make it look open and big is to remove or re-arrange heavy furniture items that may be blocking windows and walking passages. Keep them away in the garage or attic so that the tenants can move around the house comfortably.
- Clean the carpets: Deep clean your carpets to get rid of any dust, dirt or foul odors. It is a low cost chore but goes a long way in increasing the value of your home. Check if there are chipped patches of tiled or wooden flooring and get them repaired before the tenant visits your property.
- Check all electronic appliances: Check all the appliances to make sure that they are in proper working order. Scrub them to give a neat and clean look. If any appliance is not working properly, replace or get it repaired before the tenant arrives.
- Fix leakages: Check all bathrooms and kitchen for leaking taps. Fix any drainage problems and ensure everything is in order. Also, check for any leaks in the basement and attic so that they can be fixed before posing a bigger problem.
If you are planning to rent your home in Killeen, TX, contact Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. Call at (254) 699 – 7003 or visit 1020 W Jasper Drive, Killeen, TX 76542 for details.
Understanding and adhering to the landlord-tenant laws go a long way in maintaining hassle free relationships between the two consenting parties. The law allows significant rights to the landlord and imposes several responsibilities towards the property and the tenant to make sure that the renting process is carried out smoothly. In order to minimize disputes, it is important to have complete knowledge of the legal responsibilities as a landlord:
- Anti-discrimination laws: While a landlord in Texas has the right to reject any tenant on the grounds of poor credit history, negative references, track record of late rent payments etc., there are regulations that restrict an individual to be denied tenancy. These include an applicant’s race, culture, religion etc. Hence, it is important to not ask them such questions during interview or include such discriminatory questions in the application form.
- Understand State law rules: Ample information is available on various online sources or with local real estate agents regarding every state’s laws pertaining to rental properties. It is important to gather complete knowledge so you can act accordingly and save yourself from legal hassles in the long run.
- Security deposit: One must know that the law specifies certain circumstances and time period for the security deposit to be returned by the landlord. Both during the tenant moving in or out, it becomes simpler to know the rules regarding this aspect to avoid confusions.
- Maintain your property well: In Texas, it is legally required that you keep the rental home well-maintained so that the tenants can live comfortably. For instance, if you are delaying or avoiding essential repairs, you may be penalized for the same.
- Legal contract is necessary: Rental agreement is a must and should contain every single point that the landlord has agreed upon with the tenant. The duration of the lease, maintenance responsibilities, amount of rent, mode of payment etc. must be documented in a formal agreement signed by both parties.
- Make legal disclosures: It is also important to note down all the tenant rights in the contract. For instance, what a tenant is entitled to if necessary repairs are not made on time or in case of an injury suffered by the the occupants due to a faulty appliance installed by the landlord.
- Follow procedures for eviction and termination of contracts: State laws clearly specify rules and regulations by which tenants can be evicted from the rental property. For instance, notice has to be given if they do not pay their rent over a certain period of time. One must be aware of these rules so later on there aren’t any delays in executing termination policy.
Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. is a leading real estate firm serving Killeen, TX. We can assist you in renting your home easily and quickly. For more information, you can call at (254) 699 – 7003.
The first impression of a rental home speaks volumes about it. It is important to stage your rental property well to entice more tenants. Staging will not help to rent the home faster but also boost its value. Here are some tips to help you stage your Killeen rental home:
- Spruce up the landscape: In order to make your home more inviting, you need to enhance its curb appeal. Having a well-maintained lawn with blooming flowers can attract more potential tenants. You can even install outdoor lighting to illuminate thee
- ara during night.
- Cleanliness: All the essential items in the house including the carpets, curtains, upholstery etc. should be thoroughly cleaned. Make sure every corner of the rooms is dirt free and spotless.
- Declutter: You can discard the items which are not required in your home as the unnecessary pile can take up a lot of space. Also avoid displaying your personal items such as family photos, souvenirs etc. to the potential renters. Instead, you can keep some decorative pieces of art to improve the aesthetic appeal of the house.
- Neutral colors: Painting the walls with neutral colors can make the room look spacious. You can even consider renovating the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms to improve their visual appearance.
- Maximize space: If you have a small home, you can make the most out of the available space by using smart storage solutions. Consider buying built-in cabinets as they can help in maximizing the space and giving a spacious look to your room.
- Well-maintained home: Make sure all the cracks and crevices in the windows as well as doors are repaired. The electrical appliances and furniture should be in good condition. Also repair any leaky plumbing fixtures before showing your home to the prospective tenants.
- Accessories: Various accessories such as artwork, lamps, sculptures, chandeliers etc. can be used to improve the aesthetic appeal of your home and make it more welcoming for the tenants. You can even consider using decorative mirrors and wall frames to accessorize your home.
- Seek professional help: You can even seek professional assistance for staging your rental home in Killeen. A property manager can suggest the necessary improvements that can boost the value of your rental property.
We, at Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc., can assist in staging your rental home in Killeen, TX. For more information, call us at (254) 699-7003 or visit 1020 W Jasper Drive, Killeen, TX 76542.