If you are planning to move into a new rental home with your pet, it is best to do some prior planning so that the road trip as well as the new home is comfortable for him. It is imperative to make a list of the essential items that your pet requires and pack them well in advance. This will help in avoiding any hassles later on.
Read on to know what all preparations you need to conduct before moving in with your pet:
- Know Pet Rules: Even before the moving day arrives, be fully aware about the pet rules and regulations set by your landlord or homeowners association. Get to know about the pet licensing requirements so that you don’t face any problem once you reach there. Also, carry any additional vaccinations or medicines that your pet may require.
- Get In Touch With Your Vet: Talking to your present veterinarian is crucial as he can guide you about managing your pet well. For instance, if your pet is not too fond of traveling or does not eat anything while moving, it is best to talk to your veterinarian about what modifications can be made. This will reduce the stress levels for you as well as your pet.
- Gather Medical Records: Before you leave your old home or city, it is important to gather all the previous medical records of your pet. These records are essential because they need to be given to the new vet you will find once you move in to your new home. Find the nearest hospital where your pet can be taken in case of an emergency. Also, search for a new vet and get an appointment with him as soon as possible.
- Update The Pet ID Tag: The new ID tag for your pet must include your new address as well as contact information. If you have a microchip installed in your pet, the address information needs to be updated in it as well. This task needs to be performed even before you move because the chances of your pet getting lost in a new place are higher.
- Do Not Rush: Packing everything at once can make your pet feel stressed out. Therefore, always pack over a long period of time and keep things as normal as possible. Put your pet’s favorite treats and toys in their carrier a few weeks before moving out. This will make them get used to it before you actually leave your old rental home.
- Air Travel Care: In case you are traveling with your pet by air, make sure you are aware about all the rules and regulations well ahead of time. Carry all the requisite documents regarding your pet and keep them handy.
Find pet-friendly rental homes in Killeen, TX with Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. You can call us at (254) 699 – 7003.