Buying a home for the first time is easier when you know the meaning of commonly used real-estate terms. Having a basic understanding of the words used when buying a house helps buyers in understanding the details of the process better and enjoy a smoother & faster transaction.
Following are some terms that first time home buyers should know:
- Adjustable Rate Mortgage: This is a type of mortgage in which the initial rate is usually lower for a certain number of years after which it may fluctuate depending on the index rate used.
- Buyer’s Agent: A buyer’s agent is a real estate professional who is licensed to help buyers in finding a home of their choice. They charge a percentage of the contract price as commission and represent the buyer in the process.
- Closing Costs: The closing process begins after the finalization of the home sale. It consists of execution of the final paperwork, underwriting and appraisal by the lender, etc. At the time of closing; costs referred to as closing costs such as taxes, loan fees, processing fees, title search, etc. are paid by the buyer.
- Appraisal: This refers to the process of gathering an estimated value of property. An appraiser is appointed by a mortgage lender to get a fair idea of the property’s value.
- Contract: A purchase contract is a binding document that states the terms and conditions of the sale of property.
- Earnest Money: On acceptance of a buyer’s offer by a seller, the buyer pays an amount of money to the seller known as earnest money. The purpose of this payment (a small percentage of the contract price) is to secure the seller’s position. This amount is applied towards down payment at the time of purchase.
- Equity: Equity refers to the amount of investment a home owner has in his home. The amount of equity is the left over amount after subtracting mortgages and liens against the home from its market value.
- Inspection: This refers to the process in which an inspector (a licensed professional inspector appointed by a buyer) visits the home to be bought, inspects it thoroughly and drafts a report of its condition along with the need for repairs.
- Principal: This refers to the amount of money a home buyer owes to a lender; minus interest.
- Escrow: An escrow is an unbiased third party agent who is appointed to observe and manage transactions.
Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. assists its clients in buying a home that suits their requirements by providing an online listing of available properties, searching for property based on buyer’s requirements and providing assistance with paperwork. To know more about buying a home, call at (254) 699 - 7003 or visit the team at 1020 W Jasper Dr. Killeen, TX - 76542.