Buying a rental property is a major investment. Thoughtful investment in a rental property can be a great source of both short-term and long-term income. However, there are certain things that first time rental property investors should be attuned to before making an investment.
Tips that are worth implementing when buying your first rental property are:
- Research: Conduct thorough research before choosing a suitable property. It is important to check the prevailing market trends in order to know if the property you want to buy is fairly priced.
- Determine Rental Income: Based on the details you gather from researching on various rental properties, calculate the amount of rental income that you expect to earn every month. This income refers to the gross income before subtracting expenses.
- Financial Options: If you plan to use a mortgage for making the purchase, it is important to assess all financial options available for you. Consider the type of mortgage that would suit you. You may choose from a long-term or a short-term mortgage with either fixed or adjustable rate.
- Neighborhood: Talk to the residents in a neighborhood for better insight on the area and ask them about any issues they are facing. This will allow you to vet the neighborhoods that offer better living conditions and thus would be profitable for a rental property investment.
- Local Rental Regulations: Educate yourself on the local rental regulations of an area before purchasing a property. The guidelines consist of deposit allowed, maximum rent, annual rent increase, etc.
- Safety Issues: Before finalizing an investment property, hire a licensed home inspector to rule out safety and maintenance issues. Major concerns include lead paint, radon, asbestos and mold. If present, you may have to remediate them by hiring a specialist.
- Amenities: Choose a location that offers easy access to public transport and other important amenities. It should preferably be close to educational institutions and places of interest for your target renter (families, vacationers, retirees, students, etc.)
- Size: When choosing the size of property, it is important to keep in mind your target tenant population and their needs.
- Hire A Professional: Get assistance from a professional for making a profitable investment. This will not only save your time and resources; but the experts will also handle legal, financial and technical aspects associated with purchasing property.
Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. assist clients in buying rental properties. The agents at Lone Star Realty help the clients in choosing an ideal property. For more details, please visit 1020 W Jasper Drive, Killeen, TX – 76542. You can also call at: (254) 699 – 7003.