Finding the right tenants is one of the biggest worries for homeowners, but a little extra effort can help you get sorted. Your dreams of achieving a low vacancy rate and securing higher rent along with quality tenants can be fulfilled. All you need to do is prioritize the concerns and requirements of your prospective tenants. Remember, you have to give them a house that they can call their ‘home’. Provide them with all amenities and features that they require in a rental home.
In order to attract trustworthy and long term tenants, you need to work on the following guidelines:
- Highlight to appeal. It is important to remember that your soon-to-be tenant wants to know the place as much as he can. Make sure you highlight the best features of your property. If you have a well-maintained lawn, you can give details about it. You can mention about the new dishwasher or fences installed in your home. You can even talk about the safety features such as smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, advanced locking system etc.
- Add photos: With the advancement of technologies, tenants have found new ways of searching their rental home. Rental portals and MLS listing services are becoming quite popular. You can add high quality pictures and descriptions of your rental homes in various portals. This will help you attract more tenants towards your property. You can also post virtual tours to give them a better idea of your home.
- Promote cleanliness, clean before you brag. Cleanliness is an important factor which can attract potential tenants towards your property. Make sure the rugs are clean, kitchen is tidy and the curtains are dirt-free. Thoroughly vacuum your home before the tenants visit your property.
- Depersonalize your home. By personalizing your home, it becomes difficult for the tenant to envisage himself in it. That is why, it is important to depersonalize your home and remove knick-knacks, framed photographs etc. The reason being, every person has a different taste. Over the years you will have to rent out your property to many different tenants Thus, it is advised to not personalize it.
- Keep up with the repairs and maintenance. Make sure everything in the house is working properly. All the electrical appliances should be functional. In case of any signs of damage in the rooftop, doors, windows or any other structure, get it repaired by qualified vendors. If there are plumbing issues, get them fixed as soon as possible. This will help to cast a good impression on the potential tenants.
- Keep realistic demands. As a landlord, you should be updated with the real estate market. You should be aware about the ongoing rent prices. Demanding an appropriate rent can help to attract more tenants towards your property and rent it faster. Higher rent can reduce the chances of getting a good tenant for your rental home. A moderate rent can minimize your profit.
- Be responsive to queries: Make sure you maintain good communication with your tenant. You should be reachable to him whenever needed. If the prospective tenant has any doubts, be quick to answer them. This can increase the chances of renting your home faster.
- Hire a property manager. Hiring a property manager can help to reduce the vacancy rates and find quality tenants for your renal home in Ft Hood. There is a wide spectrum of jobs he can do for you:
- Conduct thorough background checks of your prospective tenants
- Side line the late rent payers
- Find the right kind of tenants for your property
- Advertise the property
- Conduct frequent visits to the rental property
- Handle tenant complaints
By keeping the above points in mind, you can increase the value the property and attract suitable tenants towards it. Hiring a property manager can help to keep up with maintenance and deal with all other tasks related to the rental home.
We, at Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc., offer a wide range of rental homes in Ft Hood. For more information about the rental services offered, you can call us at (254) 699 – 7003 or visit our office at 1020 W Jasper Drive, Killeen, TX 76542.
As a landlord, you should understand that tenants look for various features while viewing your property in Fort Hood, TX. A rental home with all the necessary amenities will definitely stand out from the crowd. It will not only help you find quality occupants but also augment the value of your rental home.
Listed below are a few features that tenants look for in a rental home:
- Good location and neighborhood: A home with an easy access to transportation, schools, parks, shopping malls etc. is in great demand. Having a property in good location can help to reduce vacancy cycles and increase your ROI manifold.
- Outdoor space: Having a backyard, balcony or a patio in your rental home can help your quote a premium rent. It will also attract more potential tenants towards your property. A home with a garage or dedicated parking space is also preferred by most tenants.
- Low crime rate: Tenants prefer to stay in a location that is safe and crime free. Your rental property should have all the security arrangements such as proper outdoor lighting, smoke detectors, fire alarms, emergency exits etc. to ensure safety of the residents.
- Well maintained rental home: If your property is well-maintained and equipped with the basic electronic appliances, it is likely to be occupied quickly. You can even renovate your home to improve its visual appeal.
- Appropriate rent: You should thoroughly research the real estate market to set an appropriate rent. Make sure the price is neither too high nor too low as it can affect the rentability of your property.
- Pet friendly: Most of the tenants have pets these days. So, having a pet friendly property can be beneficial as it can help to find occupants quickly. For this, you may consider adding features like scratch-resistant flooring, easy to clean upholstery, higher fences in yard etc.
- Other amenities: You can improve the chances of renting your property by providing a wide range of amenities for the convenience of the tenants. Modular kitchen, electrical fixtures, fireplace, extensive storage space etc. are some of the features that can improve the value of your rental home.
We, at Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc., provide a wide range of rental homes in Ft Hood. For more information about the services offered, feel free to call us at (254) 699 – 7003.
The importance of tenant screening cannot be negated while renting a house in Ft. Hood. As a landlord, you need to conduct a thorough background check of your potential tenant to ensure he is suitable for your property. Tenant screening is also imperative to verify the financial record of the tenant. Below are some commonly asked questions regarding tenant screening:
Q: Why is it crucial to screen tenants?
A: Thorough screening is important so that you are able to find a tenant who is responsible, pays the rent on time and does not cause any trouble for the neighbors. However, to ensure that your tenant screening results are fair and reliable, you need to follow a pre-planned approach. You should also strictly follow the laws and make sure you do not discriminate between the applicants based on their color, religion or sex.
Q: What are the best ways to screen a tenant?
A: One of the simplest ways to get details of a prospective tenant is to make him fill out a rental application form consisting of essential information such as employment history, social security number, license number, history of evictions or bankruptcy etc. It is also imperative to contact his past employer and landlord to verify the information provided in the form.
Q: Is it mandatory to have a rental application in writing?
A: Although it is not essential to have a written application, going by just an oral agreement can be a risky proposition. You need to have a written proof of the information provided by the tenant. This can also be used as evidence in case you reject the tenant at a later stage.
Q: What types of discriminations are against the law while choosing a tenant?
A: According to Fair Housing Laws, you cannot reject an applicant based on his race, culture, ethnic background, disability or sex. You are free to choose a tenant but it should always be in compliance with the laws. For instance, you can reject a tenant if he does not comply with your occupancy policy and has more family members than you would allow in your rental unit. This is a health and safety concern as well as a fair reason to reject the application.
Q: What is the procedure to obtain a credit report?
A: Credit report is one of the most important means of conducting a background check on any tenant. In order to get a credit report, you will need information such as the tenant’s name, address and Social Security Number. The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (IITN) can be used in the absence of Social Security Number. You can visit the website of a prominent credit bureau to get the report.
For more tips assistance on screening tenants for your rental house in Ft. Hood, TX, contact Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. We can be reached at (254) 699 – 7003.
Whenever you plan to buy a new home in Ft Hood, TX, it is important not to underestimate the value of a good location. You should always look for a home that has proximity to basic amenities such as school, hospital, supermarket etc. People with a job need to buy a home that is near to their workplace so that commuting is not an issue.
Below is a list of factors you need to follow in order to assess a location for your new home:
- Conduct a systematic background check: Get in touch with an experienced real estate agent in Ft Hood to determine the growth factor of a particular location over the last 10 to 15 years. You need to check if there has been a gradual increase in the home value in that area during the past years. This will assist you in getting a home in a location which has the possibility of development in the future.
- Review the quality of amenities: It is imperative to check the quality of schools around your neighborhood. This is crucial not only for your family but comes in handy when you plan to sell your property. Apart from this, see what all medical facilities and entertainment options are available nearby.
- Know about the employment opportunities: You should opt for a location offering high-paid jobs in close vicinity. The employers could be a big manufacturer, schools, hospitals or even universities. Also, commuting between two places has to be an easy task. Therefore, identify if a specific home has a conveniently located and what are the public transport options available there.
- Have a rough estimate of nearby home listings: Although having more homes for sale in your area could mean that you will get a better deal, it is not a positive sign in the longer run. You need to inquire why so many properties are listed for sale and how much time it takes to sell off a property. On an average, if it takes more than six months to sell a home, consider investing your money on some other property.
- Get a first-hand experience of the neighborhood: It is necessary that you personally visit the location before actually investing in a property there. Get into your car to drive from one place to another during peak traffic hours. See how long it takes to reach the school, office, shopping malls or other recreational areas. Once you discover all these aspects, it will be easier for you to decide if a location suits your requirements or not.
If you are looking for a home in Ft Hood, feel free to contact Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. at (254) 699 – 7003.
A majority of people wait for nice weather before they start looking for a new home. Although the spring and summer season seem to be the best time of year for buying a home, there are certain advantages of searching for a home in winters. It can not only fetch you a great property but you may also end up saving a lot of money. Below is a list of some of the reasons for buying a home in the winter season:
- Lesser competition: Since most of the people avoid buying home in winters, there will be fewer buyers in the market. This eventually means you have to compete with lesser number of buyers to purchase your dream home. You can actually get a good deal at a competitive price.
- Lower prices: Fewer buyers indicate that the demand will be lesser than the supply. The outcome of this is usually in the form of lower prices as compared to what you will get during the peak real estate season.
- You can have a dedicated real estate agent: Low hustle bustle in the real estate market during the winter season will fetch you the undivided attention of real estate agents. They will work harder and ensure that you get a good deal. The lean months with low sale volumes make the realtors work harder to negotiate a home deal.
- Motivated sellers: Most of the sellers prefer to put up their homes on sale during the warmer months. This is the reason why the homes being sold during winter months are those of motivated sellers. They do not want to wait for the summer or spring season and you have a better chance of getting a much lower price for a specific home you want to buy. These sellers are willing to negotiate not only on the selling price but also on the closing costs and terms of sale etc.
- Save time and energy: During the winter months, fewer homes are put up on sale. This means you will have to check out lesser number of homes that fit your requirements. You do not have to undertake the tiring task of looking through so many homes before finalizing a particular one.
We, at Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc., can help you find a suitable housing option in Ft Hood, TX. For more information, you can call us at (254) 699 – 7003 or visit 1020 W Jasper Dr, Killeen, TX 76542.