As a tenant, you need to be aware of your rights as this will help to protect your privacy and avoid any sort of hassles. You also need to be careful before signing the lease agreement while renting a home in Ft Hood, TX. Understand all the terms and conditions as well as clear your doubts with the landlord before signing on the dotted line.
Listed below are various tips that you should keep in mind while renting a house:
- Get everything in written: In order to avoid any legal hassles or misunderstandings later on, you must get everything in written beforehand. Keep copies of all the important documents with you so as to avoid trouble. All your oral communication with the landlord regarding the repair work, rent terms or anything associated with the rental property must be mentioned in a written contract.
- Carefully inspect the rental unit before moving in: Before you move in to the rental home, make sure you inspect it thoroughly and bring it to the notice of the landlord. You can even take pictures of the property and inform your landlord about the repair work needed prior to moving in.
- Get rent receipts: As per the law, the landlord is required to give you duly signed rent receipts every month. Also, you must keep a copy of the check you send to your landlord for rent payment. Make sure you retain all the payment documents. If you pay the rent online, maintain a record of all the monthly transactions.
- Know about your privacy rights: If you are concerned about your privacy or would not available at the home at all times, you need to discuss it with the landlord in advance. Be aware of your privacy rights and request your landlord to give you a prior notice whenever he wants to visit the rental unit.
- Buy a good renters insurance policy: It is imperative that you buy a renters insurance policy that provides coverage for your belongings in the home. Also make sure that the landlord’s homeowners insurance covers any sort of damage to your rental home.
Contact Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. to find a well-maintained rental home in Ft. Hood, TX. For details, call us at (254) 699 – 7003 or visit 1020 W Jasper Drive, Killeen, TX 76542.