In order to keep your rental home warmer in winter season, you need to make sure it is properly insulated and equipped with the essential features. Winterizing your home will not only keep it toasty, but also lower your utility bills. Here are some tips that can help you prepare your rental home for the winter months:
- Thick curtains: Add another layer of curtains or replace the lighter ones with heavy curtains so no chilly winds can come inside through the windows. The heat will also not escape out this way.
- Portable convection heater: The heat insulators may not be sufficient to warm the entire house. Hence, it is wise to invest in a portable heat convector which you can place according to your needs.
- Keep the floors covered: Wooden and uncovered flooring tend to get very cold during winters. Thus, you can invest in rugs and carpets to keep your feet warm while walking across the rooms.
- Plug all open spaces: If there is an unused fireplace or any other such openings around the house, seal them with bubble wrap or a thick cloth so the heat stays inside the house. It also shuts out the incoming cold air to a great extent.
- Check draughts: Window and door draughts are the easiest places from where chilly winds may enter the house. Traditional ways of stuffing woolen socks or rolled up rugs to check these draughts can help in great measure to keep out the cold.
- Make space: Check if any furniture is blocking the heat insulators. Thoroughly clean the vent of these insulators so the entire room is heated evenly.
- Use blankets: You can spread thick blankets on the couches and beds to enhance the feeling of warmth in the house. These blankets add to the coziness of the weather. Electric blankets are also available for extra heat and warmth.
- Cracks and Leaks: Check for wall cracks or broken door/window paneling. Ask the landlord to get these fixed immediately so heat doesn’t escape the house.
For more tips on preparing your rental home for the winter season, feel free to contact Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. at (254) 699 – 7003 or visit our office at 1020 W Jasper Dr, Killeen, TX 76542.