Moving out of a house or an apartment can be stressful, but is an important task that must be completed to ensure that you get your security deposit back, and are not charged for something that could easily be avoided. Putting a plan in place for the move-out process can make it a lot less cumbersome. The following checklist will assist you in moving out efficiently, by enlisting the important tasks to be done while moving out:
- Remove any screws or nails on walls and fill in the holes.
- Clean glass windows, doors and mirrors with glass cleaner.
- Scrub bathtubs and bathroom sinks with cleansers designed for the purpose. Bleach could come in handy at this stage to remove any stubborn grout. Also make sure you clean the drains and do not leave any unsightly hair or grime behind.
- Clean any outdoor space after moving away potted plants.
- Perform minor repairs like broken door knobs, missing blinds etc., to ensure that you are not charged exorbitantly for these repairs after you move out.
- Clean switchboards, kitchen surfaces and any other shelves as well as surfaces that can be wiped down.
- Empty all cabinets and drawers and wipe down their surfaces from inside.
- Clean kitchen sinks and counters. Pay special attention to the faucets, ensuring they are shiny and well-cleaned.
- If you have a garage, make sure it is well-organized and cleaned. Vacuum and mop the floor and all surfaces in garage.
- Clean any electronic appliances like dishwashers, ovens, washer and dryer, microwave, etc. and make sure you replace any component that you might have removed. Leave everything as you found it when you shifted.
- Remove any wallpaper, child locks, shelf liners etc. that you might have added at some point.
- Clean the kitchen stove, take time to remove all drip pans, clean them thoroughly and replace if necessary. Remember that it is a lot cheaper to buy drip pans than to be charged several fold the cost, if you leave ones in bad condition behind.
- Make sure you do not leave any personal accessories such as shower curtains, handheld showers, curtains etc. behind.
- Clean walls and baseboards to remove any fingerprints or removable marks.
- Vacuum out any dusty outlets such as the bathroom exhaust fan or area under heating vents.
- Get carpet cleaned professionally if necessary, or else vacuum thoroughly after moving out furniture.
The secret to making moving out smoothly and efficiently is to allow yourself plenty of time so that you are not stressed out at the last minute. Following a checklist can help to break down the whole process into manageable tasks to ensure that no important step is missed.
For more information, contact Lone Star Realty & Property Management, Inc. We are located at 1020 W Jasper Drive, Killeen, TX 76542. You can also call at (254) 699 – 7003.